Sunday, June 27, 2010

OK We Go....

So... What to say about WWOOFing.....everyone should do it. It is not only a cheap way to travel, it is a perfect way to immerse yourself in a foreign culture at a domestic level. Today Nick and I arrived in Tokyo city today, in Minowa to be exact in Taito ward, at the bAkpAK youth hostel...We settled in a bit and immediately went to Akihabara. There, the busiest arcades and electronic shops anywhere pale in comparison to the sensory overload that is in Akihabara. Lights, arcades, pachinko, more lights and crazy people, maid bars, which are really wierd, pay to rent a cat for 30 minutes to play with it....oh Tokyo, what a place. But i'll go into more later. What I am trying to say is that, this was already too intense for Gaijin, and we have been in Japan for two weeks. I could barely handle it, honestly. But WWOOFing prepared me for the intimacies that exist in Japanese society, like how to get proper service at a restaurant. I now have a week off, free to myself, maybe I can show my polished Japanese skills off...alright probably not. But I'll try.
Anyway, I will miss the Yamazaki house and all the fellow WWOOFers. My last day, Kazuko and I rode 40 minutes into Hachioji to the Metro super to buy some pork shoulders for roasting. I cooked all day. I made some spicy southern roasted pork shoulder, cole slaw, and baked beans. A gift of a traditional meal cannot be topped. It was a great final night. But, here are a couple videos of the metro and a quick tour of the Yamazaki's place.






But, I would like to go into about the issue of trash and waste disposal very briefly in Japan. Okay, as you know everything is small here, cars are half the size, houses have maybe one bathroom, everything is small because only 30% of land in Japan is habitable. So....there is absolutely no space for waste. But, the Japanese have adapted very well. Many things are built to last so products are expensive, but they dont break. They recycle alot. But, It sometimes costs more to throw away something than its worth to buy. I costs hundreds of dollars to toss a fridge out, WHAT!? I dunno just something to think about.....

No comments:

Post a Comment